Has spring sprung? For something as natural as the turning of the seasons, it sure means a lot of work!
Your lawn, garden beds, and other outdoor spaces go into protection mode during the winter. A strategic spring clean is vital for reviving your yard for the upcoming growing season and ensuring it can get the nutrients it will need to turn over. Without it, weeds can run amok, and your lawn can’t properly flourish. We can help with that! Book a spring clean anytime from early April to mid-spring to set your yard up for summer success.
This service is currently available in Calgary, Edmonton and their surrounding areas.
Since every project is unique, our pricing is all estimate-based. Don’t worry though, you won't receive a surprise bill. We will go over the entire project's costs with you before the work begins.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Give our home happiness advisors a call to book this service or request a quote through the website. You can also request through the Rümi app available in both the Google Play and Apple App stores.
- Before we arrive, please flag or mark any irrigation heads present.
- Before we start, the crew lead starts the timer and takes a ‘before’ photo.
- On average, our two or three-person crews will spend 1.5 hours or less on your property.
- First, they’ll blow leaves out of gardens and other areas onto the lawn for pickup. Then, they’ll power rake the lawn to free it from thatch, debris, and winter mold build-up. That material will be power vacuumed out, for a true fresh start.
- Crews will mow the grass and trim the edges of your lawn, then perform lawn core aeration with plugs to help de-compact your soil and allow air, water, and nutrients to reach the grass roots.
- Depending on the unique needs of your property, additional services may include removing debris, maintaining garden beds, weeding, and fertilizing.
- When the job is done, the crew will snap an ‘after’ phone and pack up their equipment. Then they’ll stop the timer and leave the yard to let spring do its thing.
- Finally, we’ll send you a link to view your before/after photos. Feel free to share them on Instagram, because your lawn will look fabulous.
Think of us as a trusted concierge for your home. We partner with local service experts who share our values and meet our rigorous safety, skill and happiness standards. We've done the legwork, groundwork and straight-up work-work so you don't have to.
Our guiding mission is to create homeowner happiness, one smile at a time.
What is ‘thatch’ and why does it need to removed?
Thatch is a layer of material consisting of dead grass, plants (grass and leaves) and sometimes mold that has developed over the winter months to protect your lawn from the elements. When the snow clears, all of this lays on the surface of the soil and suffocates your lawn. Thatch can also breed mold and disease by trapping moisture. To ensure a healthy lawn after long Alberta winters, it’s important to expose the soil to warmth and sunlight.
De-thatching provides many benefits including:
Healthy root growth in your grass: De-thatching circulates air deep down into the roots so carbon dioxide can stimulate existing roots and encourage new root growth.
Making fertilizer work for your lawn: If there is a thatch build-up on your lawn, applied fertilizers cannot properly blend with the soil.
Effective draining: With a healthy lawn, the moisture remains on the surface for a short time, eventually draining into the soil and to the root system. De-thatching clears what blocks that water from delivering vital nutrients.
What is ‘lawn aeration’ and why is it important?
Technically speaking, aeration is the naturally occurring process of air exchange between the soil and its surrounding atmosphere. Lawn aeration helps de-compact your soil, allowing air, water, and nutrients to reach the grass roots.
Practically speaking, aeration is the process of mechanically removing small plugs of thatch and soil from the lawn to improve natural soil aeration. It’s commonly called “core aeration” in the lawn service industry, and you may have heard of it as soil cultivation (coring, spiking and slicing). Most homeowners simply call it aeration.
Core Aeration Benefits:
Core aeration can help make your lawn healthier and reduce its maintenance requirements through these means:
- Improved air exchange between the soil and atmosphere
- Enhanced soil water uptake
- Improved fertilizer uptake and use
- Reduced water runoff and puddling
- Stronger grass roots
- Reduced soil compaction
- Enhanced heat and drought stress tolerance
- Improved resiliency and cushioning
- Enhanced thatch breakdown
When should I book a spring clean up?
Book your spring cleanup for the spring season between early April right through mid-May. Our crew will arrive at a scheduled time, so you’ll know when and how to prep your yard for their arrival.
How does Rümi ensure safety?
Safety is one of our top priorities.
Our crews bring and maintain expert equipment. Every team member is required to wear long pants, jeans, or slacks. When operating the trimmers, our crew members wear provided eye protection. Both crew members also wear provided ear protection and gloves.
How long will it take to complete the clean up?
Typically, our crew of experts can complete a yard, including mowing and trimming, power raking, and aeration, in less than 1.5 hours.