The Ultimate Cleaning Checklist For Every Season
As the seasons change, so does your cleaning checklist. Here's the ultimate cleaning checklist for every season.
As the seasons change, so does your cleaning checklist as different items in your home need special attention to ensure you’re ready for whatever the weather has in store for you. While summer is a good time to power wash your deck, it obviously wouldn’t make sense to put that on your to-do list for winter. And, changing your furnace filter is definitely a smart practice for November, but it might not make it to the top of your list in May.
Beyond the regular dusting, washing and vacuuming we all do year round, Rümi’s got a few extra items that are a good idea to check off every season—plus more season-specific tips you’ll want to pay attention to as well.
Now let’s get to it!
Deep Cleaning Basics
As the world turns, you are going to want to address the following tasks two-to-four times per year. These items don’t rely on the weather outside, but the beginning of every quarter is a gentle reminder that the more in-depth stuff still needs to get done.
Your Quarterly Checklist
- Wash vents and baseboards
- Do paint touch ups
- Move and clean under large appliances
- Wipe down ceiling fans, lights, and door and window casings
- Clean out pantry
- Deep clean the oven—consider one of the many non-toxic methods that use baking soda and/or vinegar available on the Internet
- Wipe down the inside of cabinets
- Rotate/flip mattresses – did you know that your mattress may also need a deep clean? We’re happy to help with that.
- Shampoo carpets and upholstery (We can help with that too!)
- Prep garden soil for planting—lay down new topsoil and/or compost, be sure all old plant material is turned under the soil, and rake the soil clean before planting
- Clean out tool shed and/or garage – sweep out dirt and debris, throw away any garbage, take junk or hire for junk removal
- Wash porches/decks
- Wash interior windows and window tracks
- Check that AC units are in good working order
- Take a look inside your clothes closet. Is there anything in there that hasn’t been worn in the past year? If so, consider donating any gently used items.
- Deep clean the grill
- Perform maintenance on lawn mower
- Clean patio furniture
- Wash window exteriors
- Install/repair/maintain screen doors to keep dust and critters outside where they belong
- Change furnace filter
- Clean furnace and ducts (We can also help with that!)
- Clean out fireplace
- Switch out wardrobe – store summer coats and dig winter coats out of storage
- Winterize patio furniture and play equipment, or store
- Wash windows (inside)
- Wash blankets and throws
- Prep mudroom by laying down absorbent entryway mats and provide plenty of hooks where big hands and little hands can hang up damp coats, gloves, and toques
Every season is deep cleaning season. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun. The right tips and tools will help you feel like a home cleaning pro and inspire you to embrace the changing of every season.